Brielle has now been part of our family for three months. It's weird how it simultaneously feels like yesterday we were at the hospital yet it is hard to imagine a time without Brielle.
The time at the hospital could be separated into two distinct time frames. The first is best described as 'hurry up and wait' and the second as a whole new level of tired. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am on October the 12th (a day before the official due date) for Amanda to be induced. Brielle entered the world at nine that same evening.
Considering all the crazy birth stories I have heard, we had it really good. There were just a couple scares when the baby's heartbeat dropped significantly for a few minutes. A slew of nurses came running in and had Amanda shift from side to side in an attempt to return the heartbeat to normal. Brielle's heartbeat and mine had an inverse relationship!
PUSH!!!......wait........PUSH!!!........wait......PUSH!!!.......wait
Amanda's contractions came about every two and a half minutes and lasted about thirty seconds. She would push with the contractions then wait. Then push. Then wait. Then push. By this time Brielle was going to be born at any moment. In the room was the delivery doctor, two nurses, a neonatologist and her assistant, and two nurses from the pediatric nursery. Everybody was watching and waiting for the same thing so the time in between contractions was naturally awkward. I mean what do we talk about?? Sooo, it's hot today, huh? Are Crocs really that comfortable? How is ObamaCare going to affect you? Any conversation would be, at any time, abruptly stopped - most likely with an "AHHHHHHH, AHHHHHH."
Brielle was born, I cut the cord, the neonatologist looked her over, and the nurse cleaned her up (the video above). After a few man tears, I was ok too. There are moments in my life where it's almost like I have a still frame picture in my mind of the experience. This still frame is Brielle opening her eyes for the very first time and seeing her daddy (I'm getting teary eyed right now as I write about it). This picture is etched in my mind's eye.
No comments:
Post a Comment